7 Healthy Essentials for Summer
Here's a list of summer essentials for safe and healthy protection from the sun, the bugs and the heat! This obviously doesn't cover everything you may need but if you were packing your go-to beach/park bag, these products will certainly help make the day safer and healthier for your family. Use it as a quick checklist for the various family bags and backpacks and especially for long hours in the sun at summer camp!
SUNSCREEN: The selected sunscreens are all natural, non chemical-based formulas and free of harmful ingredients found in most conventional sunscreens. None of these contain nano-particles or the hormone-disrupting chemical, oxybenzone. See all of our selected sunscreens here.
Thinksport SPF 50 sunscreen is one of the top rated sunscreens on EWG's Skin Deep database that consists of 1400 sunscreens.
- easy to apply despite it's very high zinc content
- very water resistant:maintains SPF after 80 minutes in water
- paraben and PABA free
- provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- supports the Livestrong foundation's fight against cancer
- broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection for face, ears, nose and lips
- uncoated Non-Nano Zinc Oxide
- certified organic ingredients
- ideal protection from sun, windburn and chapping
- no added fragrance
- broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- SPF formula is water resistant for at least 40 minutes
- safe for children
- BPA and Phthalate free packaging
So, what to use instead? We recommend using effective plant-based repellents like lemon eucalyptus oil used in LuSa's Natural Bug Repellent Spray or the naturals oils of citronella, cedar, lemongrass and rosemary used in Badger Anti-Bug Shake and Spray and Badger Anti-Bug Balm.
INSULATED WATER BOTTLE + LUNCH BAG: On hot summer days, preparing for extended time at the beach or the playground is much more pleasant when your food and drinks stay cool! Double-walled stainless steel Eco Vessel Straw bottles provide excellent insulation to keep your beverages cool throughout the day and the assurance that zero chemicals like BPA will leach into your drink.
The Packit insulated lunch bag is made with a PVC-free liner (PEVA) for safe and effective insulating--your food will stay cool for up to 10 hours! There's no need to pack with an ice pack because this lunch bag is constructed with a non-toxic eco-gel liner. Simply store in the freezer (conveniently folds up) and unfold and fill for cold storage.
Cheers to spending time this summer outdoors!