BPA Free Water Bottles – Which One is Right for You?
06.06.11 BPA Free Water Bottles – Which One is Right for You?
Many articles have been written about the health benefits of staying hydrated. Since nearly 2/3 of our bodies are comprised of water, it plays a vital role in our wellbeing. Among the many benefits to drinking water is that it helps to rid our bodies of toxins. So, when you make the choice to purchase a new water bottle, it’s important to look for one that is free of harmful chemicals and toxins. You want your water bottle to be safe.
A vast majority of water bottles on the market are plastic, many of which contain the harmful chemical, Bisphenol A. BPA is an endocrine disruptor with estrogen-like effects. Even the alternative plastic water bottles which are said to be BPA free contain synthetic chemicals, the effects of which have not been sufficiently tested. Read more about BPA-free plastic and its potential risks.
We believe that small changes can make a big difference. When it comes to choosing a water bottle, we recommend choosing products made from glass or stainless steel. We’ve created this guide to help you narrow down your options for a safe, BPA free water bottle and have broken them down into the following categories:
- Straw Bottles
- Sports Cap Bottles
- Child Friendly Bottles
- Elegant Bottles
- Insulated Bottles
- Filtered Bottles
As you dive into this guide here are two important notes about how we choose products:
1. We only choose safe materials. Glass and 304 grade stainless steel are the core components of all of the following water bottles. We avoid plastic wherever possible and none of our water bottles have plastic as a core component. When plastic is part of the water bottle (in a sport cap for example), it is always free of BPA, PVC, lead and Phthalates.
2. Core to our mission is choosing the best products. We do not carry every safe water bottle, only the best and that is what is represented below.
So here we go.
Straw Bottles – Not Just for the Gym
There are certain instances when it’s convenient to have a straw bottle rather than a spout or wide-mouth water bottle. If you exercise on a treadmill, unscrewing an open mouth bottle or tilting your head back to drink from a spout can cause you to lose your balance. Straw bottles are the perfect solution for those times when you just can’t take your eyes off what you are doing.
- The SIPP, by Thermos is a 17 oz. straw bottle (pictured to the right) that will keep your beverage cold for up to 12 hours. With the convenient push button lid, there is nothing to unscrew or snap open and the lid is attached, so it can’t be misplaced. ($28.50) *
- The Hydration Bottle, also by Thermos, is a stainless steel, 18 oz. straw bottle that’s small enough to fit in most cup holders. The Hydration Bottle offers all of the same convenient features as the SIPP and is available in two fun, whimsical designs. ($22.99)
- For children who are too old for a Sippy cup, yet still too young for an open cup, the straw water bottle is ideal. We love the Foogo Leak-Proof Straw Bottle with it’s easy to open, push-button lid. Its 10 oz. size means it’s easy for little hands to grasp. And, with its sweat proof design and scratch resistant bottom, you’ll be comfortable letting your child place it down anywhere in your house. ($16.50)
If you’re hesitant to purchase a straw bottle because keeping the straw clean seems like a chore, all you need is this BPA free Sippy Straw Cleaner. At $3.99, these two rust free brushes will help ensure the longevity of your straw bottles and leave you with the peace of mind that the inside of the straw is free from bacteria.
Sports Cap & Screw Top Bottles – Perfect for “On the Go”
When it comes to choosing a sports bottle, there are several options. If you prefer an alternative to the straw bottle, a BPA free water bottle with a sports cap is ideal for high energy sports and weight training. A classic screw top bottle is another great option that allows for easy and quick hydration. Even if you aren’t exercising, sports cap and screw top bottles are perfect for everyday use.
- The Klean Kanteen Classic (pictured to the right) is one of the most versatile water bottles available. Because it’s made from food-grade stainless steel, the inside is free of any liners, which are typically found on aluminum bottles. Klean Kanteen comes in four convenient sizes and, with six different caps to choose from, your Klean Kanteen can be adapted to suit any need. ($14.95 – $18.45)
- The Klean Kanteen Wide, also available in four different sizes, has all of the same great features as the Classic, but without the wide selection of lids. The benefit to the Klean Kanteen Wide is that the width of the opening is large enough to easily accommodate ice cubes. In addition, pouring, refilling and cleaning a cinch. ($18.45 and $19.95)
- Thinksport insulated bottles are designed to keep beverages hot or cold for several hours. The hourglass design makes this bottle easy and comfortable to hold. The internal filter, or screen, keeps ice, lemon wedges and tea bags from blocking the spout while drinking. ($15.99 and $19.95)
- We love the EcoUsable Stainless Steel Water Bottle for its fun pipeline-grid design. The 33 oz. capacity makes this water bottle ideal for long outings or sporting events. If you are traveling with children, fill this bottle with extra liquid for easy individual water bottle refills. ($15.50)
Child Friendly Water Bottles – Easy to Use and Mess Free!
It’s important for children to stay hydrated, especially during the summer, and with a fun water bottle at their side they won’t have to be constantly reminded. There are several great BPA free water bottle options and the one you choose really depends on how and where it will be used.
- If you are traveling in the car, you’ll want a bottle with a sports cap or straw to prevent spills. The Thermos FunTainer is a leak proof, pop-top straw bottle that is easily opened and closed by children of all ages. At 12 oz., it’s big enough to satisfy any thirst, yet lightweight and small enough to fit into any car or booster seat cup holder. ($16.50)
- Your child’s spirits will soar when they use this 24 oz. Funkalicious water bottle by Thermos. Perfect for an afternoon at the playground or as a desktop bottle at school, the pop-top lid and pour spout means staying hydrated isn’t rocket science. ($14.95)
- Small, lightweight and leak-proof are the criteria that all moms look for in a lunch box water bottle. The Safe Sporter, 12 oz. water bottle (pictured to the right) is all of these things and more! With a pull spout top, spills are avoided and the flip top cover keeps the spout free of germs and bacteria during transport. ($14.95)
- For older children who may not want a sports top bottle at lunch, LifeFactory’s Beverage Bottle is ideal. This 9 oz. glass bottle is leak proof and because it is encased in a non-toxic, non-plastic silicone sleeve, it’s also durable. ($12.95)
Elegant Water Bottles – For Home or Office
Save your sports top bottles for the gym or around town. When you’re at the office, the water bottle that you use should be sleek, elegant and, above all, silent. You’ll be sipping in style with any one of these modern, BPA free water bottles. You’d be well on your way to the recommended 64 daily ounces of water with these bottles!
- If you’re looking for something a bit more colorful to sit on your desk, you might consider the LifeFactory 22 oz. beverage bottle which comes in six different colors. This glass water bottle is heavy enough that it’s sturdy, yet not so heavy that you can’t take it with you on the go. The wide mouth easily accommodates ice and lemon wedges for the gourmet water drinker. This water bottle has a silicone sleeve that adds to its durability. A handy feature embossed on the sleeve of the bottle allows you to see the actual ounces of water. Also available is the 16 oz. size. ($19.95 - $20.95)
- Klean Kanteen’s Reflect water bottle is a stainless steel 27 oz. container with a disc of sustainably harvested bamboo on the cap. What’s great about this water bottle is that it is made solely of three materials (stainless steel, bamboo and a band of silicone in the cap) and is free of any plastic or paint. ($29.95)
- The Takeya glass water bottle is heavier than other office worthy models, but it’s simplicity in design means it can be cleaned at the office and remain at the office, so there isn’t a need to transport this bottle to and from home. The silicone sleeve protects this 16 oz. glass water bottle from breaking and makes it easy to hold. ($19.99)
Filter Water Bottles – Great for Travel and for Camping
There will be times when you are away from home and may not have access to a purified water source. For camping and traveling abroad, a water bottle with a built-in filtration system is your best defense against digestive upset.
- The EcoUsable stainless steel water bottle removes up to 99.99% of all pollutants. Its ionic-adsorption micro-filtration system is so effective that water can be retrieved straight from its natural source and immediately consumed. ($34.95)
Insulated Glass Bottle – For the Discerning Coffee or Tea Drinker
The Anchor Hocking Double Wall Insulated Glass Bottle is an 18 oz., sweat-free beverage bottle that keeps your drink hot – or cold – while remaining cool to the touch. ($9.95)
Although the features and aesthetics vary amongst the water bottles in this guide, there is one important commonality. Every bottle that we sell here at MightyNest is made from safe materials (predominantly glass and 304 grade stainless steel) and is BPA, PVC, phthalate and lead free, so you can be assured that the water bottle that you choose for your family is a safe alternative.