Getting Ready for Baby: The Non-Toxic, Green Essentials
03.30.11 Getting Ready for Baby: The Non-Toxic, Green Essentials
With all the changing news about what is safe, toxic and recalled it can be overwhelming for expecting mothers to prepare for a baby. It certainly was when I was pregnant, and I had half of the knowledge I have now.
I just had a reader contact me over at Non-Toxic Kids. She wants to know the essential non-toxic, green baby gear she needs to get ready to welcome her baby. Thankfully, most of the gear can be found right here at MightyNest. Chris and Kristen have done the hard work for us, finding the best, safest, healthiest and greenest baby gear out there.
Here is my list of the essentials for expecting moms and mothers of newborns:
- An organic nursing pillow: Blessed Nest Organic Cotton Nursing Pillow. This is an essential piece of gear for a new breastfeeding mama. Getting and staying comfortable while nursing is so important in those early days. This pillow conforms to your baby's body, allowing for more comfort and freer hands for mother to read, caress, or talk on the phone.
- An organic, non-toxic crib mattress: Organic Cotton Classic Crib Mattress by Naturepedic. This mattress is covered with a 100% polyethylene food grade waterproof surface. This mattress is an excellent alternative to the vinyl/PVC found in nearly all crib mattresses. This polyethylene food grade surface provides the ultimate non-toxic waterproof and stain resistant mattress cover.
- An organic, non-toxic crib mattress cover: Non-Waterproof Crib Mattress Pad by Naturpedic.
- Glass bottles: There are many choices in this category for glass bottles at MightyNest. This is the safest way to go because there is no plastic use, and there have been some recent questions about even BPA free plastic's safety.
- Cloth diapers: Here is a link to the bum Genius Elemental Organic One Size Diapers from our friends at My Little Green Shop. No inserts, covers or other stuff required.
- Reusable Nursing Pads: These are very helpful in the early days of breastfeeding and motherhood.
- Organic cotton PJs: Free of flame retardant chemicals and super cozy.