Healthy & Safe Beach Bag Essentials
06.14.11 Healthy & Safe Beach Bag Essentials
Beach is season is finally upon us here in the midwest! (Although, our beaches don't look exactly like the one in this photo!) One of the pure joys of summer for us is spending time with our children at the beach. School is out, schedules have lightened up and the sun is finally shining. No trip to the beach is complete though without a well stocked beach bag. In addition to your towels and toys, here is our list of safe, non-toxic products that will make your day at the beach a happy and healthy one.
One of a parent’s biggest concerns at the beach is sun exposure. It's great to utilize shade, sun umbrellas, swim shirts and hats and to avoid sun at the strongest times of day when you can, but there will be areas of exposed skin that require sunscreen protection. Avoid harsh chemicals such as oxybenzone, which is an endocrine disruptor that can affect the nervous system, has been linked to cancer in laboratory studies, and creates harmful free-radicals when exposed to the sun. Instead opt for mineral zinc-oxide based sunscreens.
- Badger Sunscreen is a certified natural, broad spectrum sunscreen consisting primarily of zinc oxide, beeswax and organic oils. Available in SPF 15, SPF 30+ and SPF 30+ Anti-Bug, there is a safe option for every member of your family. ($15.99)
- For the times when you want to apply a little extra coverage to your child’s face, the Badger All Season Face Stick is ideal. It’s a no mess, no fuss way to protect noses, cheeks, ears and lips. ($7.29)
- Protect your lips from chapping and burning with a chemical-free, SPF 15 Sunblock Lip Balm. This lip balm is perfect for all ages and retains its SPF protection for up to 40 minutes in the water. ($3.50)
- Aside from sunburn, it’s also important to protect your children from mosquito bites. Most bug repellants are filled with harmful chemicals and toxins. Badger Anti-Bug Shake & Spray is a 100% natural and certified organic product that is effective and safe. ($10.00)
Every parent knows that a well stocked beach bag must contain plenty of snacks and beverages. But, before your little ones reach for a sandwich, you may want to reach for an all-natural hand sanitizer. Clean Well all-natural hand sanitizing spray and wipes are alcohol free and proven to kill 99.99% of germs naturally. As an added bonus, this hand sanitizer has a fresh, citrus scent. ($2.99 - $5.99)
- The Reusable Sandwich Wrap is more than just a bag. In fact, it’s not really a bag at all. Cotton on the outside and non-toxic nylon on the inside, this circular wrap can be folded to hold sandwiches, bagels, fruits and vegetables. At the beach it’s perfect because once unwrapped, it doubles as a placemat. ($9.95)
- For crackers, pretzels, cookies and nuts, the SnackTaxi is ideal. This reusable snack and sandwich bag eliminates the need for plastic bags and is BPA, lead and phthalate free. Available in a wide variety of fun and whimsical designs, we feel certain that you and your children will each find a favorite. ($6.95)
- As an alternative to the Reusable Sandwich Wrap and SnackTaxi, you might consider the LunchBots Trio. This stainless steel container is divided into three compartments for singular storage of foods such as a sandwich, carrot sticks and dried fruit. Because it is not leak proof, we recommend this container for solid foods only. ($14.95)
- This large insulated lunch tote is a great way to keep food and drinks cool and free from sand.
- Don’t forget to keep your family hydrated with a BPA free reusable water bottle. To learn more about our selection of water bottles and find one that’s right for you, we’ve compiled a guide to BPA free water bottles.
- For the beach, we recommend the Foogo Leak-Proof Straw Bottle. It’s easy to use and will keep beverages cold for up to 12 hours. ($16.50)
Lastly, carry your essentials in style with a Mod Green Pod organic cotton tote bag. These bags are made from 100% organic cotton and are printed with non-toxic pigments. There are 4 fun patterns to choose from!
What are your beach bag essentials?