Taking the Toxins Out of Bathtime
While we take steps to make sure our kids are eating nutritious food, getting enough sleep and exercise, it's also important to be mindful of applying the same LOVE to the care of their skin. As skin is the body's largest organ, we need to be aware of what we put on it...cause our skin will do its job and absorb away.
Environmental Working Group (EWG) notes, "Pound for pound, kids are exposed to more contaminants in everyday products than adults. Their immature metabolism and organ systems are typically less capable of fending off chemical assaults. And as a rule of thumb, if the label has a long list of ingredients, you're better off not buying it."
As an example, here's an ingredients label from a conventional bubble bath for kids:
- Purified water
- Disodium Sulfosuccinate (foam booster)
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate or SLES (highly irratating chemical used as a surfactant. Easily absorbed into body tissues with the concern of potential contamination with 1,4 dioxane).
- Cocamide MEA (foam booster with contamination concerns)
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice
- Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickening agent)
- Fragrance (phthalate! The average "fragrance" contains 14 secret chemicals not listed on a label and the law protects this disclosure to consumers.)
- DMDM Hydantoin (a preservative that may contain formaldehyde)
- Tetrasodium EDTA (a preservative that's made with formaldehyde, a known carcinogen and sodium cyanide. This works as a penetration enhancer, allowing chemicals an easy route into your bloodstream).
- Citric Acid
- Red 33 ( a synthetic dye produced from petroleum: an endocrine disruptor and carcinogen or coal tar: a known carcinogen and made from bituminous coal).
And a warning label that reads: Excessive use or prolonged exposure may cause irratation to skin and urinary tract. Discontinue use if rash, redness or itching occurs. Yikes! Aren't bubble baths supposed to be fun and relaxing and meant for repeated exposure?
All of the bodycare products for kids and adults available here at MightyNest are free of phthalates, parabens, aluminum, formaldehyde, 1,4-dioxane, phenoxyethanol and other harmful petrochemicals. Instead, our skincare selection is made with natural, healthy and organic ingredients.
What goes on your skin, goes into your skin, so you can feel good and safe about using them. And when it comes to kids, it's also advised to be cautious about using products with synthetic fragrance.
We chose to carry the Dolphin Organics line because there are NO warning labels. In fact, their labels are CLEAR and easy to read showing that ONLY natural and organic ingredients make their way into their products. There is no room for artificial ingredients, including preservatives.
Toxic chemicals can be found in all kids' skincare and haircare products, including lotions, balms, soaps, shampoos, conditioners and sprays. So, in whatever products you choose, it's a good idea to read the labels to avoid toxic chemicals that can be so harmful to your little ones.