Your Guide to a Gift for the Chef: The 5 Best Natural Materials to Use in the Kitchen
11.30.11 Your Guide to a Gift for the Chef: The 5 Best Natural Materials to Use in the Kitchen
The master chef. The magician in the kitchen. We all have that special someone in our lives who loves to cook. When the holiday season rolls around, you know picking out a gift for them is akin to equipping them with an artist’s tools. You want a gift that lets them cook their heart’s desire. It’s a gift that helps create good food...and is good FOR you!
So we’ve assembled a quick guide behind WHY a MightyNest gift will bring that extra meaning to your chef’s life. Here are the 5 best natural materials to use in the kitchen - learn how they are healthy, versatile, green, practical...and tasty too!
Benefits of Cast Iron:
- Healthy - Natural non-stick material has zero trace of toxic chemicals, such as Teflon (which emits enough toxic gases to kill a bird!) Emits small amounts of iron, providing helpful nutrients especially for the anemic.
- Versatile - Oven, stovetop, broiler, BBQ grill, fireplace, campfire.
- High-temperature cooking - Even heating, great heat rentention.
- Green - All natural ingredients used in the manufacturing process. Its durability also allows for reuse from one generation to another.
- Durable - Practically indestructible. Made to last several lifetimes.
- Practical - Great for dishes that start on the stove top and end in the broiler or oven.
- Tasty - Cast iron cooking enhances food flavor, especially of meat.
Cast Iron Cookware:
- 6.5" skillet, 8" skillet, 10" skillet, 12" skillet
- 10.5" square grill pan
- 5 qt. dutch oven
- Muffin pan
Benefits of Ceramic:
- Healthy - A safe alternative to cookware with non-stick coating that contains toxins such as Teflon (which emits enough toxic gases to kill a bird!)
- Versatile - Oven, stovetop, broiler, freezer, BBQ grill, microwave, dishwasher.
- High-temperature cooking - Withstands temperatures up to 2700 degrees F.
- Green - Made using natural gas, clay, and water.
- Durable - Cannot be scratched by even metal utensils and industrial wool.
- Practical - Food stays hotter longer and are easy to clean with smooth surface.
- Tasty - Ceramic cooking enhances food flavor.
Benefits of Stainless Steel:
- Healthy - Food-grade #304 stainless steel is corrosion-free (so you avoid rust). Great alternative to Teflon or aluminum.
- Versatile - Light-weight, dishwasher safe, easy to clean, oven, stovetop.
- High-temperature cooking - Tri-ply high grade 18/10 stainless steel helps cook foods faster, more evenly, and retains heat better.
- Green - The average stainless steel product is composed of 60% recycled material.
- Durable - Long lasting (expect 25 years of use)
- Practical - Foods don't stick with use of oil. Bakes evenly and less likely to burn. Uses less energy. Doesn't react with acidic foods.
Stainless Steel Cookware:
- 8" frying pan, 10" frying pan, 12" frying pan
- 3 qt. sauce pan
- Prep bowl
- Vegatable steamer
- Measuring spoons and measuring cups
Stainless Steel Bakeware:
Benefits of Glass:
- Healthy - Lead-free, BPA-free, PVC-free. Doesn't leach toxic chemicals, like commericial grade plastics. Great for food storage.
- Versatile - Oven, microwave, dishwasher, freezer.
- High-temperature cooking - Bake and store up to 425 degrees F.
- Green - Made from all natural ingredients.
- Durable - Tempered glass is non-porous so it does not retain odors, scratch, or stain. Four to five times stronger than standard glass, doesn’t break into sharp shards.
- Practical - Can go easily from oven straight to table. Beautiful to display, can leave out on the counter.
- 2-cup bake 'n store, 5-cup bake 'n store, 12-cup bake 'n store
- 4 3/4-cup baking dish, 11-cup baking dish
- Casserole dish
- Mixing bowl
Glass Food Prep/Storage:
Benefits of Bamboo:
- Healthy - Naturally anti-microbial and non-absorbent. Less porous than other woods.
- Green - Made from the natural bamboo plant.
- Durable - Harder than other woods
- Practical - Lighter than other woods. Elegant in design.
Bamboo Cookware and Serveware: