French Glassware: What sizes are best for you?
Whoa, that's a lot to drink. Wondering what the blue stuff is?....well, read on. Here at MightyNest, we have a terrific selection of safe Duralex drinking glasses in 2 sophisticated styles.
Made in France, these tough, stackable, impact/chip resistant glasses are so practical, it's no wonder you see them in so many homes. Stack them up and carry to the table - I even let my kid carry the tower of glasses! I like that I can use them for both hot and cold drinks and they stand up well to countless sessions in the dishwasher.
Duralex glasses are made from tempered glass, which is amazingly durable and safe, and is 2.5 times stronger than standard glass. It is very shock-resistant because it’s manufactured through a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling. You don't have to be concerned about lead, BPA or other chemical leaching.
But it's often tricky for our customers to know which size best suits their needs at home. I took a closer look at the varying sizes to see how they differentiate. The Picardie glass tumbler style (better known as the "french-vintage cafe style"and seen in most bistros) is available in 5 sizes: 4.5, 5.75, 7.75, 12, and 16 oz. The Gigogne glass tumbler style (pronounced je-go-ne) means "nesting" in french and these glasses do naturally nest while stacked in the cabinet. Gigogne is available is 2 sizes: 5.75 and 7.5 ounces. This style is not fluted like the picardie and has a decorative slim line underneath the lip of the glass.
Because the selection of glasses varies in a subtle way, I've made some distinction as to what would serve well in each of the sizes.
- 4.5 oz. glass is very small. Perfect for little hands! For adults, it's ideal for mouthwash or port.
- 5.75 oz. glass (available in both Picardie and Gigogne) is suitable for juices like apple, cranberry and tomato. A great choice for kids 3 and up.
- 7.75 oz glass (available in both Picardie and Gigogne) is the classic size. Often used for red wine in France. Perfect for milk as well. A great choice for kids 5 and up.
- 12 oz. glass (also known as a hi-ball) holds a hearty glass of orange juice, lemonade, seltzer.
- 16 oz. (also known as a cooler) is perfect for a beer, iced coffee/tea, water and smoothies.