Best BPA-Free Water Bottles for the Whole Family
01.17.12 Best BPA-Free Water Bottles for the Whole Family
It's a New Year. Are you looking to make a small change with a substantial impact? Here it is: choosing the right BPA-free reusable water bottles for you and your family members. Now I imagine your family doesn't all share the same favorite color or same sense of style or even the same day to day needs. So, here's a breakdown of the various styles of water bottles surely to fit everyone's personal requirements. But one thing these water bottles do share in common: each one is free of BPA and other harmful chemicals. Thank goodness.
Benefits of BPA-Free Reusable Water Bottles
Before we get to the bottle selection, it's important to note the health benefits (for our bodies) of drinking plenty of water from a safe and healthy water bottle AND that it's reusable and made to last (for the health of our planet).
HEALTHY: "A healthy cell is one in which the nutrients can easily get into the cell and the toxins can efficiently get out".
- Water helps keep your body’s temperature stable, it carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, cushions joints, protects organs and tissues and removes toxins, among many other benefits. Some people may also like the sounds of revving up a slowed metabolism with a greater intake of water.
- Being properly hydrated helps your body function at its best. Dehydration is when there isn't enough fluid in your body which can lead to headaches, fatigue, crankiness and poor concentration. That doesn't mix well with learning at school! Or for work!
- To stay properly hydrated, it's recommended that kids drink several glasses (5-6) of water a day. And 64 daily ounces of water for adults!
- A vast majority of water bottles on the market are plastic, many of which contain the harmful chemical, Bisphenol A. BPA is an endocrine disruptor with estrogen-like effects.
- Even BPA-free plastic bottles are suspect as there hasn't been sufficient testing on the synthetic chemicals used for these bottles. And recent studies have shown other endocrine-disruption chemicals can leach from even BPA-free plastic food storage containers.
- Bottled water produces up to 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year and up to 47 million gallons of oil per year to produce, not to mention the energy to dispose.
At Mightynest, we only choose safe materials. Glass and 304 grade stainless steel are the core components of all of the following water bottles. We avoid plastic wherever possible and none of our water bottles have plastic as the main material. When plastic is part of the water bottle (in a sport cap for example), it is always free of BPA, PVC, lead and phthalates.
FOR YOUNGER KIDS USING A SIPPY CAP BOTTLE:
- Lifefactory Glass sippy cap bottles: 9 oz, glass and silicone, dishwasher safe
- Thermos Foogo sippy: 7 oz, leakproof, insulated stainless steel, dishwasher safe
- Kid Basix Safe Sippy: 11 oz, insulated stainless steel, dishwasher safe
- Klean Kanteen sippy: 12 oz, stainless steel, handwash
- Eco Vessel insulated sippy bottle: 10 oz, insulated stainless steel, handwash
FOR BIG KIDS:
- Eco Vessel straw bottle: 13 oz, stainless steel, leakproof, handwash
- Lifefactory glass water bottle: 9 oz, glass and silicone, leakproof, dishwasher safe
- Klean Kanteen sport top bottle: 12 oz, stainless steel, dishwasher safe
- Thermos Foogo Straw bottle: 10 oz, insulated stainless steel, leakproof, dishwasher safe
GLASS WATER BOTTLES FOR ADULTS:
- Takeya Modern Glass water bottle: 16 oz., silicone sleeve, leakproof twist-off cap, dishwasher safe
- Lifefactory Glass water bottle: 22 oz., silicone sleeve, leakproof twist-off cap, dishwasher safe
- Takeya Classic Glass water bottle.: 16 oz., silicone sleeve, leakproof twist-off cap, dishwasher safe
- Anchor Hocking Double Wall Insulated Glass Bottle: 18 oz., sweat-free beverage bottle that keeps your drink hot – or cold – while remaining cool to the touch.
- Lifefactory Glass water bottle: 16 oz., silicone sleeve, leakproof twist-off cap, dishwasher safe
STAINLESS STEEL BOTTLES FOR TEENAGERS + ADULTS:
INSULATED STRAW BOTTLES: If you enjoy keeping your water extra cold AND you prefer drinking from a straw, these bottles are for you.
- Thermos Silver Hydration bottle: 18 oz., vacuum insulated, dishwasher safe
- Thermos Purple Hydration bottle: 18 oz., vacuum insulated, dishwasher safe
- Thermos SIPP Hydration bottle: 17 oz., vacuum insulated, dishwasher safe
- Eco Vessel Insulated Straw bottle: 17 oz., insulated, leakproof, handwash
- Eco Vessel Insulated Straw bottle: 13 oz., insulated, leakproof, handwash
LOOP-CAP BOTTLES: Great leakproof bottles for backpacks.
- Klean Kanteen Reflect bottle:27 oz., zero plastic, bamboo cap, handwash, leak-resistant
- Klean Kanteen Wide-Mouth bottle: 27 oz., leakproof, dishwasher safe
- Klean Kanteen bottle: 40 oz!! leakproof, dishwasher safe
SPORT TOP BOTTLES: Great for the gym or any sports practice.
- Klean Kanteen Classic: 18 oz., dishwasher safe
- ThinkSport insulated bottles: 12 oz and 25 oz., dishwasher safe
WHICH BOTTLES FIT YOUR FAMILY'S NEEDS?