Is Silicone Dishware Safe?
03.21.11 Is Silicone Dishware Safe?
Here at MightyNest, we search out alternatives to plastic wherever possible and select products made with safe, inert materials that will not leach chemicals. We also search for products of top notch design and functionality because we believe in tailoring our homes to include only safe and reliable materials. The food-grade silicone in the dishware we carry is a fantastic and safe alternative to plastic dishware and most importantly, it is BPA-free, Lead-free, PVC-free and Phthalate-free. According to consumer advocate Debra Lynn Dadd, "In my research, all descriptions I have read of silicone rubber describe it as chemically inert and stable, so it is unlikely to react with or leach into food, nor outgas vapors.” She adds that silicone “is not toxic to aquatic or soil organisms, it is not hazardous waste, and while it is not biodegradable, it can be recycled after a lifetime of use.”
Below are the basics to the benefits of silicone:
- Natural: Silicone is an inert, rubber-like material, that is safe, durable and pliable. Silicone is made up of silicon (a natural element present in organic materials like sand, quartz and rock). Silicon is transformed into silicone when combined with oxygen, carbon and hydrogen.
- Non-Toxic: Because it is a natural material, it does not contain any toxic chemicals like those found in plastics like BPA, Lead and Phthalates. It is also hygienic, hypoallergenic and resistant to bacteria. Silicone does not react with food or beverages and does not produce any hazardus fumes.
- Clean: Silicone is extremely easy to clean. It can be safely boiled to sterilize and can be cleaned in the dishwasher. Certain strong smelling foods can permeate silicone, although this can be easily remedied by boiling in water. Silicone also doesn't warp or damage under prolonged exposure.
- Versatile: Silicone can withstand both hot and cold temperatures. Also resistant to age, sunlight, moisture and chemicals. Silicone has the capacity to evenly distribute heat and the ability to cool instantly after heated. Highly portable and durable, these can easily replace disposable dishware. Microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe.
For all these reasons, we love silicone as a material for safe products for your home and family.
Two important notes:
1) We do not feel enough research has been done around silicone bakeware to promote it.
2) Our comments above are specific to food grade silicone dishware, nipples and teethers made by the manufacturers we carry. We go very deep with each company to ensure they are reputable and that they do the proper testing.