President's Cancer Panel: Chemicals Threaten Our Bodies
06.06.11 President's Cancer Panel: Chemicals Threaten Our Bodies
Renowned columnist, Nicholas Kristof has recently written an op-ed piece for the NY Times, titled, "New Alarm Bells about Chemicals and Cancer". Kristof reported that the President's Cancer Panel, a group of three Cancer experts who "review America’s cancer program and report directly to the president", have made a call for America to take a more rigorous approach to regulating chemicals.
In addition to regular doctor visits and conventional screenings, the President's Cancer Panel suggests eating organic food, checking radon levels in our homes and microwaving food in glass containers rather than plastic!
It's interesting that Kristof notes that the President's Cancer Panel, the "Mount Everest of the medical mainstream", has made recommendations that we regularly talk about here at MightyNest.
The highest warning goes out to pregnant women, when the risk of chemicals is greatest. This information comes from studies showing umbilical cord blood with 300 detectable contaminants. Kristof also emphasizes the rising cancer rates (along with autism, diabetes and obesity) among children and the suspected factors being the, "proliferation of chemicals in water, foods, air and household products".
An oncologist and professor on the panel, Dr. LaSalle Leffall Jr. comments post report, “We wanted to let people know that we’re concerned, and that they should be concerned".
The President’s Cancer Panel report has made some of the same recommendations we have been suggesting for awhile. Here are their recommendations:
- Choose foods, toys and garden products with fewer endocrine disruptors or other toxins, especially when pregnant and with young children.
- Remove shoes when entering the house and wash work clothes separately from the rest of the laundry (if working with chemicals).
- Filter drinking water.
- Store food and water in glass or stainless steel containers, or in plastics that don’t contain BPA or phthalates. (We recommend avoiding plastics as much as possible here at MightyNest). Microwave food in ceramic or glass containers.
- Choose food grown without pesticides, chemical fertilizers and growth hormones. Avoid meats that are cooked well-done.
- Check radon levels in your home. Radon is a natural source of radiation linked to cancer.
Here at MightyNest, we have solutions to many of these issues, including a selection of glass and stainless steel storage, water filters, natural toys and healthy skincare, among other healthy categories.
We think this is a great step forward. What do you think?