Highs and Lows of Mommyhood
Between myself and two of my best friends, we have 5 daughters, all under the age of three. Our families are growing, changing and thriving so fast that its getting harder and harder to keep up, especially because we live far way from each other. Several months ago my friend came up with the idea to share, via email, the highs and lows of our girls and our families. We started off with daily updates but have since moved to every few days, and at the very least once per week.
As I was writing my highs and lows last week, my husband remarked how cool it was that we're doing this. And I thought, it really is, isn't it? It has been amazing following along as our daughters learn to turn the pages of their books, move to the toddler room at daycare, finish their first hand-painting, cruise around the house with toys in hand, take their first steps and go on the potty for the first time.
And at the same time, its great being able to lend a sympathic ear as the girls bump their heads on tables, smear food in their hair while they eat, get terrified in the bath tub, go through a clingy phase, teethe, get colds, and bite and take toys away from their sisters.
Its also an amazing feeling knowing that no matter what, and no matter if I have 5 seconds or 5 minutes, I always have two mommy friends just an email away that I can lean on, share with, seek advice from, and enjoy life's small joys with.
Below are the updates I sent to my friends last week. I always like to start with the lows and end with the highs...
- April snow/rain showers in Chicago. Lowest temperatures for the month of April on record since the 1940's!!
- Horrible teething discomfort from her two front teeth, which resulted in not enough sleep for either of us.
- Daddy was out of town.
- Diaper changing olympics as she can't sit still for even 5 seconds.
- Raised her arms way up in the air to get me to pick her up when I got home from work.
- Sat at my feet and practiced her pincer grasp on my toes.
- Got on the jumbotron at her first baseball game, in her ridiculously pink fleece outfit.
- Pulled herself up on me into a full standing position!
- Said da da da (time to work on ma ma ma, now!)