A Deeper Look at Our Ingredient Standards
From the beginning, we set extremely high standards. We know not all ingredients are created equal. And we know everyone has their own criteria for what they are looking for in a product. That’s why we consult with 12+ sources, including government regulatory groups (like the EPA and the EU), chemistry databases (such as PubChem and PubMed) and advocacy groups (including EWG and Women’s Voices), to learn everything we can when researching every ingredient.
We strive to be 100% transparent about everything we sell. Our product selection process, criteria and ingredient disclosures are available for all to read.
Not all ingredients have significant amounts of data or real-life studies about their safety. When looking at ingredients with limited data, we err on the side of caution.
As we’ve curated our assortment over the years, we’ve come across ingredients that may not be ideal for one of a variety of reasons, but in some cases, are necessary. This could be for many reasons.
- It increases the efficacy of a product in an important way, such as killing germs and bacteria.
- It’s a preservative used to ensure the product doesn’t expire or turn harmful before it can be fully used.
- The natural ingredient is extremely expensive, which would make the product’s price too high for all consumers.
- The extraction and manufacturing process of the ingredient’s natural alternative is far more harmful to the environment.
- The product itself is a greener, more eco-friendly option than its mainstream counterpart.
In each case, we work to balance our high bar for ingredients with the desire to help our customers make changes that work for their homes, families and budgets. There are times we approve an ingredient only for certain types of products or at certain concentration levels.
Read our Ingredient Yes/No List to learn about the ingredients we don’t allow in our products. Or, take an even closer look:
- Read about the Fragrances we allow
- Read about the Preservatives we allow
- Read about other ingredients you may want to know more about
If you have a question that we haven’t answered or want further clarity on how we choose our products, please don’t hesitate to let us know.