What Makes It Mighty?
- made from chemically inert borosilicate glass that can withstand high heats
- completely plastic free; looks beautiful on the countertop
- pure materials make for a delicious cup of coffee by maintaining integrity of flavor
The Chemex coffeemaker is known for its iconic design. Its hourglass shaped flask is made entirely of borosilicate glass, a chemically inert material that does not absorb odors or chemical residues. Includes a polished wood collar with a leather tie that serves as a handle. Can also be used to brew tea.
Size: 9" H x 5 1/4" Diameter / Capacity: 40 oz
Hand washing recommended.
- Open the Chemex-Bonded Coffee Filter into a cone. One side should have three layers.
- Place the cone in the top of your coffeemaker with the thick portion toward the pouring spout.
- Using Regular or Automatic Grind coffee only, put one rounded tablespoon of coffee per 5 oz. cup into the filter cone. If you prefer stronger coffee, use more; there is never any bitterness in coffee brewed using the Chemex method.
- When the water is boiling, remove it from the heat until it stops boiling vigorously. It should now be at about 200ºF, a perfect brewing temperature.
- Pour a small amount of water over the coffee grounds, just enough to wet them without floating. This is important because it allows the grounds to "bloom," so the desirable coffee elements can be released.
- After this first wetting simply pour more water, soaking the grounds each time, but keeping the water level well below the top of the coffeemaker.
- Once the desired amount of coffee is brewed, dispose of the spent grounds by lifting the filter out of the coffeemaker.
- And that's it! You are now ready to enjoy a perfect cup of coffee!
Package free; primarily compostable except very minor components (e.g. plastic toggles or small stickers)
Chemex Glass Coffeemaker, 8 Cup
Size: 8 Cup
Borosilicate glass with polished wood collar with a leather tie
Known as a pristine coffeemaker, Chemex® employs all of the chemically correct methods for brewing. It's hourglass shaped flask is made entirely of glass, a chemically inert material that does not absorb odors or chemical residues. The Chemex® has no moving parts and will work forever, unless it is dropped or in some other way demolished. Chemex® filters are made of the highest quality filter paper. With a wide selection of coffeemakers, filters, and accessories, we can assist you in all of your coffee needs.The Chemex® coffeemaker was invented by Peter J. Schlumbohm, Ph.D., in 1941. Schlumbohm was born in Kiel, Germany in 1896. He received his doctorate in Chemistry from the University of Berlin. After several trips to the United States, he settled in New York City in 1936. Over the years, he invented over 3,000 items for which he was granted patents. However, his coffeemaker and carafe kettles were his most long enduring inventions. Over the years, the coffee makers have been recognized as outstanding examples of American Design.
We make it easy for families to create a healthy home. Each of our 1000+ products has been thoroughly researched to be free of concerning chemicals, and hand-picked for its quality and design. With products for the whole family, ranging from kitchenware to reusable lunch gear to skincare, it is truly better living made easy.